Miners' Union Hall
The Miners' Hall is a historical building located at 1765 Columbia Avenue. This facility includes various rentable spaces to accommodate all types of events including weddings, funerals, live performances, fundraisers, meetings, fitness classes, etc. Below you will find all the information you need to decide if the Miners' Hall is right for your event, which space is best suited.
The Performance Hall is a 2082 square foot room, including a warming kitchen and stage area with an occupancy load of 198 (156 with tables and chairs). Rental of this space includes use of 150 padded chairs, 16 – 6′ x 29″ plastic folding tables. 15 – 2′ round, 30″ tall, black, café style tables are also available free of cost upon request. Please refer to ‘special considerations’ below for audio/visual equipment options. The hall dimensions are 38’4″ x 54’4″ and the stage dimensions are 17’9″ x 27’3″. Recommended uses of the Performance Hall include live bands and performances, fundraisers, weddings, funerals. For inquires please contact the Recreation Department.
Attic Green Room
When renting the Performance Hall space, users can choose to also rent the Attic Green Room. This 432-square foot room with 2 bathrooms, 1 shower, kitchenette, lockers, mirrors, couch and 2 lounge chairs is accessed via stairs off the stage in the Main Hall. The Attic Green Room is ideal for groups using the Main Hall for plays, musical acts, etc. where actors/musicians require a room to prepare and change or as a break-out room when renting the Lily May Room.
Lily May Room
The Lily May Room is a 714-square foot, post and beam style meeting/social room. The Lily May Room’s capacity is 75 and is ideal for baby showers, small gatherings, book clubs, etc. Rental of this space includes use of 49 padded chairs and 8 – 6ft x 29in folding tables. The room is accessed up 2 flights of stairs from the Miners’ Hall main entrance. The Lily May Room includes the Attic Lounge, a 340-square foot entrance room with coat rack, kitchenette and bathroom.
History of the Rossland Miners’ Union Hall
The Rossland Miners’ Union Hall was built in 1898, with the architectural design done by E.J. Weston – an American architect. The Hall has survived a multitude of fires that ravaged Rossland in its early days; and one of the few wooden buildings of this era and stature left in the province. The building was designed for multipurpose use. The main floor had a main, raked stage, that is large enough for groups to entertain, and a main hall suitable for large gatherings and social events. There was an interior balcony built above the front entrance way that was accessed from the main floor which provided more space. On the lower level, there was a smaller meeting area with a low stage and also family quarters for the Union Secretary and his family. Below the lower level, in the half basement, the boilers used for heating were located. The attic was left unfinished until 2015 during the most recent restoration of the building. In 2020, the Miners’ Union Hall was given a plaque of recognition by the Government of Canada to commemorate the national historical significance of the site.