About the Finance Department
The Finance Department is responsible for monitoring, controlling and allocating of financial resources in order to achieve the City's immediate short and long-term goals and objectives, as well as, maintaining the Information Technology services to all City facilities. The Department also provides Council with monthly and quarterly financial updates and variance analysis. Annual Financial Statements, which are audited by an independent auditor, are prepared by the Chief Financial Officer along with several other reports to meet the legislative requirements of the Province.
The Finance Department provides Council with monthly and quarterly financial updates and variance analysis. Annual Financial Statements, which are audited by an independent auditor, are prepared by the Chief Financial Officer along with several other reports to meet the legislative requirements of the Province. Other functions of this department include:
• Asset Management, Investment Management, Risk Management and Grant Management
• Maintaining Financial Records for Fixed Assets, Inventory, Permits and Licensing
• Budgeting and Long-Term Financial Planning
• Collecting City’s Revenues by Maintaining Property Tax Assessment Roll Information
• Administering the Annual Billing of Property Taxes, as well as, the Tax Sale Process
• Processing Accounts Receivables and Payables
• Administering Payroll
• Processing Monthly Utility Billing
• Improving, Maintaining and Implementing Information and Technology (IT) Systems.
Mike Kennedy, CPA, CA
Phone: (250) 362-2322
Phone: (778) 551-7619
Phone: (778) 457-5036
Phone: (250) 362-2324
Phone: (250) 362-2325
Financial Plan Bylaw
WHEREAS in accordance with the provisions of the Community Charter requires the Council, by bylaw, to prepare and adopt a Financial Plan for a five-year period. AND WHEREAS Section 165 of the Community Charter requires the financial plan set out the objectives and policies of the City.
Financial Plans & Reports
Each year, we build a budget that balances setting a reasonable tax rate and delivering services expected by residents and businesses. Annual Statement of Financial Information Reports (SOFI) are completed and audited to meet the legislative requirements of the Province.
Grant Funding Opportunities
The City recognizes the value of the contributions by local service clubs, groups, non-profit societies and charitable organizations to the development of a vibrant community. This financial assistance is part of the annual budgeting process and subject to available funds.
Property Tax Payments and Home Owner Grants must be received on or before Tuesday, July 4, 2023 at 4:00 p.m.