There are over 50km of roads, streets and lanes within the City of Rossland. Many of these roads are steep and often narrow, requiring a high level of service, particularly in winter conditions. If you see a non-emergency problem on the roads, report it here. For an emergency situation, contact City Hall during business hours (9am-4pm). For after-hours emergencies, please call 1(866)417-4104.
Snow Removal & Roads
The City of Rossland receives an annual average snowfall of 370cm or 12’2″ and maintains approximately 45km of paved roadways and 6 kilometers of unpaved roadways. All of these roads are plowed by City crews in accordance to our current policy. Sidewalks are plowed under contract to the City in accordance with snow removal policies. Note that the City does not apply any salt to road surfaces. Salt flushes into the local streams and can cause environmental degradation.
Following a snow fall or series of storms, City crews first priority is to ensure that all road surfaces are passable. Following this, it may be required to remove snow from the edges of the roads and areas where there is minimal snow storage. Businesses and residents can assist the City during snow removal in a number of ways:
- Remove all unused vehicles, boats, trailers, etc. from streets and boulevards.
- Comply with “snow removal in progress” signs.
- Park vehicles off of City streets/avenues when snow removal is in progress or when snow removal signage is in place.
- Remove snow and ice from sidewalks fronting their properties.
- DO NOT shovel, plow or blow snow from driveways onto streets. Violations will be subject to Bylaw Enforcement action.
- The City will not clear windrows from private driveways.
- Stay well back from trucks and plows at all times.
- Children should be advised not to play on snow banks adjacent to roads and remain clear from snow removal equipment.
- Do not place steel posts or rocks on boulevards as markers. Those responsible for any such installations will be held liable for injury or damage they cause.
If you have any further questions about the Snow Removal program, please call City Hall at (250)362-7396.
Snow Plowing Priorities Map
Snowplow & Winter Safety