Development Variance Permit

A Development Variance Permit application is required if you wish to have particular standards or requirements of land use bylaws relaxed or varied for your specific purposes. The types of variances requested generally relate to building siting, height, width and coverage, sign area, etc. Once the Development Variance Permit has been approved, you will require a Building Permit for construction of any buildings.

Under Section 922 of the Local Government Act, Council may vary most land use bylaw requirements except those requirements pertaining to use and density. Approved Development Variance Permits are registered against the title of the property. Zoning, Subdivision and Sign Bylaw provisions may be varied if Council feels that the reasons for the variance are appropriate.

Click here to see the Complete Quick Reference Guide

Please contact the Planning Department (250) 362-2329 to discuss any potential applications.

You can find the application form for a Development Variance Permit here.

Close +
Back to Top