Development Variance

Under Section 922 of the Local Government Act, Council may vary most land use bylaw requirements except those requirements pertaining to use and density. Approved Development Variance Permits are registered against the title of the property. Zoning and Subdivision Bylaw provisions may be varied if Council feels that the reasons for the variance are appropriate. 

When do I need to submit a Development Variance Permit Application?

A Development Variance Permit application is required if you wish to have particular standards or requirements of land use bylaws relaxed or varied for your specific purposes. The types of variances requested generally relate to building siting, height, width and coverage, sign area, etc. Once the Development Variance Permit has been approved, you will require a Building Permit for construction of any buildings.

See the Development Variance Quick Reference Guide for more information.

Development Variance Application

For additional information regarding variances contact the Planning Department.