Building Inspection

The Building and Inspection services deals primarily with the regulation and inspection of new construction and renovations, alterations, additions, and changes in occupancy of existing buildings.

Building Inspector

Parry La Fond

Ph: 250-362-2326

Email Building Inspector

When do I need a Building Permit?

A Building Permit is required to:

  • construct a new home
  • construct a new accessory building such as a carport, garage or storage shed;
  • construct a farm building;
  • construct a commercial, industrial or public use building;
  • renovate existing buildings;
  • undertake any structural work such as interior partitions;
  • enclose a porch or roof over a sundeck;
  • move a building;
  • locate a mobile home;
  • roofing and re-roofing a structure;
  • reconstruct after damage (i.e. fire);
  • exterior finish, such as stucco or siding.

A Building Permit is not required when you do non-structural work such as:

  • Painting;
  • Landscaping, sidewalks, driveways
  • Fencing (fence height must comply with Regional District/Municipal zoning bylaws where applicable);
  • Cupboards.

A Plumbing Permit is required:

  • with new houses, additions, renovations when drawings indicate fixtures;
  • when a plumbing system is constructed, extended, altered, renewed, or a connection made to a sewer or sewage disposal system.

A Plumbing Permit is not required:

  • When a fixture, valve or faucet is repaired or replaced, a stoppage cleared or a leak repaired if no change in the piping is required.

Building Permit Fees

For more information and access to incentives and rebates, see below:
Fortis BC Incentives page
Terasen Gas Offers page
Make the Switch to Natural Gas
Fortis BC Insulation Rebate
Fortis BC Energy Star Windows Rebate
Fortis BC Solar Hot Water Rebate

Rossland Energy Efficient Building Incentive Application
Rossland Energy Efficient Building Incentive Policy